Monday, December 3, 2012

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has so many memories for me. Most have to do with food! I remember a time when my mom spent her time baking pies. That was always fun. Being born on Thanksgiving pumpkin pie is my favorite. I wonder who remembers that the concession at Kuhio Beach sold squares of pumpkin and custard pies. They were great. My cousin Barbara made and sent the recipe for a fancy layered pumpkin pie. That was a winner. On The Splendid Table, they were talking about the skin of the turkey. My dad would remove the skin from the turkey and then get some gravy on it and eat that. I used to think that was odd but as I grow older I found out that my dad knew what was the good stuff to eat. If anything food is an essential part of my family. I always say that when someone in our family dies we all adjourn to the kitchen to tell funny things they did. I hope that is a tradition that continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment