Friday, February 13, 2009

House Bills

Speaker Say has introduced a number of bills that are harmful to public worker benefits. It is interesting the amount of chatter I see on my email. It is interesting for two reasons 1) the amount of teachers who have suddenly become interested in bills at the legislature and 2) that the chatter from the HSTA leadership is non-existent.
I must be critical of HSTA because they do not seem to display a sense of urgency. As well as they seem to not be very open to the membership. The chapter and state elections are soon but it seems that the timeline is compressed as well as secretive. I am no longer active with the union (not by my choice) but I am glad that I am not a part of this fiasco.
For a union that bills itself as the largest democratic organization, the local HSTA is surely not displaying its democracy.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Egan,
    Interesting comments. You always have a different way of looking at things, and I can appreciate that. I hope you keep this blog up! And since when are you back in the band business?

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim

    I hope to keep up with this. Yeah I just got back into band but maybe next year I'll just teach general music.

    Egan

    ReplyDelete