Sunday, February 22, 2009

HSTA

I'm taking a little time to do a rant on HSTA and its leadership.
I got a note that I wasn't at institute day and I should contact my uniserv for info. Okay I didn't go. Maybe I should have gone. But sending me a note in December is a waste of money. Which leads to my second rant.
It justs takes too long for the membership to get info. When I was in Hana the Advocate was always a month behind. How do they choose what is mailed and what is passed out? The website doesn't turn over fast enough. My biggest gripe is when I wanted something on the Web Site I was told it was simple and it could be done. When it wasn't I was told it's because it was more difficult that they thought. When I requested an extra meeting one person said okay it could be done, then another said it couldn't. It was said I was told something earlier, yet I wasn't able to share the info with my committee because I hadn't had a meeting. Now the final rant.
This reorganizing of HSTA sure is secretive. There is a committee to do this but the outcome is already announced. It seems that the governor has influenced how HSTA is choosing to conduct their business. Creating the final report before the committee reports.
More and more I am hearing from teachers who have not felt supported by the union. The public believes that a union protects bad workers. In many cases our union is choosing to assist who they want. As the elections for our HSTA leaders approach please make a serious decision. Ask has our leadership worked in the best interests of teachers or themselves. Unfortunately I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment